Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sandy McConnell


I am so excited to get started, I can hardly wait until July! I am Sandy McConnell and I work in Saratoga USD. For the past two years I taught 5th grade at Saratoga Elementary, and next year I will be the technology coach for our K-8 district.

I worked in high tech for 20 years and retired 10 years ago. Since then, I went back to school and got my second masters, this one in Multicultural teaching. I have been teaching for three years and just love it. It is really exciting integrating teaching and technology. I am really looking forward to learning about web 2.0 technologies and integrating collaboration technologies into the classroom.

In my new role, I will be working with teachers to help them incorporate technology into curriculum.

I am a hands-on and visual learner so I am really looking forward to trying new things and seeing my cohorts' ideas. My teaching style reflects my learning style, I try to do as much hands on as I can and offer a variety of discovery learning options. Of course, I have to remind myself that not everyone learns the same way I do, and I find technology can provide a variety of learning options for the various learning styles.

It has been fun to read everyone's posts - I grew up in Cupertino (Jollyman, Kennedy and MVHS) and my dad taught in Santa Clara (Buchser HS and Peterson) for years, got my BS in Behavioral Sciences and MBA at SJSU so lots of connections to many of you. I am a native Santa Clara Valley girl, but lived some of my adult life in New York, Boston and a very short stint in Hong Kong (during my high tech days). I have a grown son, a supportive husband and a hairy beast of a dog named Dharma, who all keep me laughing.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sandra! Thanks for posting your intro. It will be great to have you in the program. We actually have similar paths... tech-ed n all. Also, I taught at Kennedy for 20 years. Started in 87 (when Jollyman School became Jollyman Park, actually) and now I'm at Peterson. It will be great working with you this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris - It is a small world after all :) In addition to this blog, which is a great ice breaker, is there any other prep work we could be doing to get ready for MERIT?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Sandy,

    We both teach in SUSD. See you soon,

    V

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just saw your post and I will be happy to talk with you about second grade. I just finished teaching a year of straight second and two years of 2/3. Before that I taught first for 4 years, before that a k/1, and before that Kinder for 3 years. Next year I will be returning to first. Not my choice, I wanted to stay in second, but my principal did a lot of moving around for next year and I got bumped. So I have been spending time refreshing my self with the first grade standards. I look forward to meeting with everyone and sharing creative ideas.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Grace - I know what you mean, 2nd isn't my first choice, but I think it will be great to introduce technology at a younger age! I look forward to working with you!

    ReplyDelete