Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Kathie Laurence

Hi,
My name is Kathie Laurence. I teach Sociology and AP Psychology at Palo Alto High School. This is my second career and I have been at it for about fifteen years. My first career was as an athletic trainer at Stanford University where I took care of the athletes' injuries and helped them (hopefully) avoid some.

I live in San Martin with my husband, who is also in education, two sons, four goats, a dog and a cat. It is a long commute for all of us but worth it because we can have the animals. I was born in Palo Alto and went through the Palo Alto school system.

I am super excited about the Merit Program. I want to find other ways to teach sociology and psychology that uses technology in different ways. I have been using clickers and online textbooks for a couple of years but would like to add to that. I am very interested in learning about wikis. I have some ideas for assignments that I think will work well with wikis. I also want to learn about the capabilities of document cameras. If they are as good as they seem, I hope I can find some grant money to buy one.

I think that I am primarily a visual learner but I do try to use many methods in my teaching from lectures to student directed learning to labs and other activities.

I look forward to meeting you all in a few weeks. It should be a great summer!

2 comments:

  1. HI Kathie. You'll have to link up with Nancy Fohner for carpooling... she lives in Gilroy. I'm really glad that you are in the program because web2 tools have such relevance to social issues and sociology. We'll have some great chats, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathie,
    I'm looking forward to learning more about your classes! See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete