Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Grace Chavez



Hi, my name is Grace and I will be teaching first grade at Castro School in Mtn. View for the 2009-2010 school year. I have been teaching for 11 years now and have taught grades k-3. Most of my teaching has been at Title 1 schools. However I did take a 2 year break and taught at Parent Participation schools. I love teaching and wouldn't want to do anything else! I have also been a floral designer, a retail clerk, a day care provider,and a teacher's aide.

I have been married to my high school sweetheart for 32 years now and I have two beautiful daughters ages 23 and 31. My husband and I live in the scenic town of Boulder Creek in the Santa Cruz mountains. We share our home with 2 cats and 2 dogs. I have the best commute in the world as I get to see sunsets, sunrises and a variety of wildlife.

I love to learn and I try to pass this love on to my students. My personal learning style is a mix of visual and hands on. Therefore my teaching style incorporates a lot of the same. Each year I find myself adapting my teaching to the needs of the students that I have that year. Every year I look for new ways to help my students reach their potential.

I am so excited about participating in the Merit program. I want to learn how to incorporate the use of technology into my classroom, beyond just using computer programs and the occasional Internet search. I am especially interested in digital storytelling as a way to allow all of my students to share their stories and knowledge, regardless of their language proficiency.

5 comments:

  1. I tip my hat to you, Grace! The work you do is so valuable. I hope Castro gets you for another 10 years at least. We too live in the Santa Cruz mountains, but not quite as far as Bolder Creek.... we live near Lexington. I'm looking forward to meeting you soon. Welcome to the program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciated your idea of storytelling. I am looking for a tech bag of tricks to open up the possibilities for all of my students, but particularly the English language learners. I look forward to meeting you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Neighbor! I live in Felton.

    V

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Grace - I just found out I will be teaching 2nd this year (I've been teaching 5th) and I look forward to meeting you and sharing ideas for teaching with technology in the lower grades!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete