Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tina Doss


My name is Tina Doss and I am a teacher at Carlmont High School located on the Belmont/ San Carlos city border.  I have been teaching for nine years.  Currently, I teach Advanced Placement (AP) Biology and Biotechnology 3-4.  It’s the second year of the 3-year Biotechnology Program.  Dan Raffa and I started the program with a one-year class in 2002.  The past seven years the program has grown to offering three years serving over 250 students.

I am a firm believer of hands on science.  I believe that students learn scientific concepts when they can relate experiences to the concepts.  Although I am sort of a kinesthetic learner, I learn best visually.  Therefore, I probably learn the best via lecture with manipulatives, pictures, etc.  While I do use lecture to enhance concepts, it’s very important to me that students explore, build skills, and learn concepts via doing, not just listening to me.  Therefore, in Biotech, we do labs 80% or more of the time allotted in class.

I try to find a balance for different learning styles.  I open my class at lunch for students to continue exploring and/or asking questions.  I also hold after school hours.  At least once a week I am available after 5 PM for my athletes and drama students so they are able to come in for help/exploration too.

I am very excited about sharing and collaborating with other teachers.  Looking forward to spending my summer with all of you!

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Tina,

    Biotechnology? And labs 80% of the time? Wow, your students are lucky to have this opportunity. I'm looking forward to meeting and collaborating with you.

    V

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your lab intensive approach... That is how I like to run my classroom, too. I teach mainstream and SDAIE Biology...but we are trying to incorporate an integrated science class with an emphasis on forensics (I would like to include biotech). Do you work with SCBBEP?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Tina,
    I just looked at the KCI schedule, and it looks like we get teamed up in ABC order for the first day's project. So we might be a team at the tail end of the alphabet, you, Whitney, and me.

    See you soon.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tina,
    My daughter graduated from Carlmont before you got there. I look forward to hearing more about your classes. See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ms Doss! This is Wilson, I dont know if you still remember me. I wanted to say hi and tell you how valuable your class is to my career. Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. You are the best!

    ReplyDelete