Monday, April 27, 2009

Elise Jury

My name is Elise Jury and I'm a 6th grade core teacher at Graham Middle School in Mountain View.  The core position includes Language Arts and Social Studies.  In having the two subjects together, I get to do a lot of cross-curricular integration which I love! Being able to teach two subjects and have the same group of kids for longer blocks is right up my alley, as I have an elementary credential.  

I am a visual learner and need to see things and be able to write them down.  As an overall trend, my learning style is different than my students.  I find that my kids learn best when doing, so active projects are accompanied by auditory and visual activities.  Middle school is a tough time to really showcase the different learning styles.  We are at this point where we've got to get kids ready for the rigor of higher grades and high school, so note taking and study skills are those we focus on, but on the flip side, those strategies are ineffective for some kids.  

I am really excited to be a part of the KCI program!  A few teachers at Graham have gone through and have sort of brought me into the world of KCI this year.  I am really looking forward to learning more about technology, using it more fluidly in my classroom, and collaborating with colleagues in technology integration.  



2 comments:

  1. Sorry, no pictures at school! I'll upload one tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Elise,
    Core is also what we do at Redwood Middle School. Looking forward to meeting you.

    V

    ReplyDelete