Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Rob Bolt


Hi Gang,
After a fulfilling run as a technology professional and then full time parent, I am very blessed to have the opportunity to pursue teaching as the third and final stage of my career. Having grown up in Berkeley as the child of two PhD academics, teaching and academia have never been far from my heart. After living in India for four months a few years ago, my passion for history and the world in which we live was fired, and it became clear to me that my time as an educator had arrived. Upon returning home, I enrolled at the College of San Mateo in various Social Studies courses to deepen my subject matter expertise and to prepare for the CSET exam. The experience of being back in the classroom after so many years was transcendent and I quickly enrolled in the credential program at NDNU. To date, all the pieces of the teaching puzzle have fallen into place with my graduation just one week away. While taking a full load at NDNU, I am also teaching two sections of 9th Grade World History at Palo Alto High School as an intern. I did my first semester of student teaching at Crocker Middle School in Hillsborough in 8th Grade U.S. History.
I am incredibly excited to meet all of you and work with my Merit Program partners Jes Notte & Eric Bloom. My teaching philosophy is "Education as Theater" and I think that sums up both my teaching style and my learning style. The more dramatic it is (noisy or subtle) , the more engaged I am! And students love a show...
My technology background infuses me with passion for leveraging technology to make the World a smaller place for my students and to engage them through the mediums that they use outside of school.
Cheers,
Rob

4 comments:

  1. Rob, I'd love to talk to you about your time in India, it sounds fascinating. I hope all is well for you at Paly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, looks like there aren't many of us social studies people in KCI-- look forward to possibly working on some stuff together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rob,

    I went to NDNU also, great program. Congrats on being done! See you this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rob,
    I share your passion for history and global education and look forward to hearing more.
    See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete