Monday, May 25, 2009

Gail Hybarger

My name is Gail Hybarger and I am a fifth grade teacher At Laneview Elementary School in San Jose California. Teaching is actually my second career. I originally graduated from Humboldt Sate University in 1985 with a B.S. in Business Administration. I soon started my Career in the Software Industry Working as a Software Engineer for various High-Tech Companies.

I never really liked my job or career and had dreamed of being a teacher. Just before I turned 40 I decided to take the plunge and go for it! I had started the process of becoming a teacher, taking the necessary exams and classes and I then applied to San Jose State. Now all I had to do was wait. Well in May of 2002 I turned 40 on May 18, Got laid off from my job at IBM on May 21, and got Accepted to San Jose State on May 23. Imagine that, all in the same week. I never looked back!

After receiving my Credential in May of 2004, I decided I wanted to find a way to use my previous Technical experience in the classroom to enhance my students’ learning experiences. So while in my first two years of teaching full time, I went to School Full time to get my Master’s Degree. Oh, Yea I was also in the New Teacher Project which was an additional 10 Units a Semester of course work. YIKES!!! What was I thinking? It actually was the best thing I have ever done. I now have a teaching credential and Masters Degree.

My biggest challenge for implementing technology in my classroom is the lack of computers, software, LCD projectors and Smartboards. I dream of having the appropriate technology available so I can enhance learning experiences for all of my students.

Oh, in my spare time, I train and Walk Half Marathons with the NF Endurance team, to raise money and awareness for the Children’s Tumor Foundation and to find a cure for NF. That’s Mom and Me in the picture after completing our first half Marathon in 2007. We have now done 4 half marathons and the Bay to Breakers 3 Times.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Gail! I'm out of breath just reading it! I know what you mean about lack of tech tools. Hope to meet you soon.

    V

    ReplyDelete