Thursday, May 21, 2009

Gayle Britt


Hi Everyone,
I'm Gayle Britt and I'll be the facilitator for the high school group this summer. Having worked part time at the KCI since 2000, I have been involved in MERIT (EWYL) since its beginning. I taught 7th and 9th grade social studies and language arts and helped start a charter high school. At present I also work part time for the Oracle Education Foundation leading global project learning workshops (using Thinkquest) around the world. (The picture is of me having just climbed to the top of "Dracula's" fort in Romania last month.) Thinkquest (http://www.thinkquest.org) is a great tool for local classroom or global collaboration on projects. It is free, but schools have to sign up. If interested, go ahead and get your school on board and during the institute I'll show you how to set up a project. The KCI has also been working with a British expedition on the old Silk Road (http://tracingtea.com/). This team has been collaborating with a 7th grade social studies class all year and is looking to collaborate with more classes. I'll be sharing a lesson about free trade. I'm eager to learn more about you and your teaching and am looking forward to working with and learning from you.

1 comment:

  1. Gayle! your tea project sounds very interesting--we have been trying to develop cross-curriculum units that include social studies, science, english and math--your project sounds like it has potential for us! Nancy Fohner

    ReplyDelete