Monday, May 11, 2009

Kenneth Pringle


Hi. My name is Ken Pringle. I teach chemistry at Lincoln High School in San Jose. This my second year of AP and tomorrow they take the test (whew!). I am excited to join the mentor program and work with others to make technology part of my class. I look forward to developing tools that provide students with resources to enhance their learning, develop technology skills, and, maybe, gain ownership of the learning going on in the class.
I usually gave a pretty even leaning style without being overwhelmingly visual, kinesthetic, or audio. I need to read a question to answer it well, but I also need to hear a story to understand it better. (A different test I found online showed that I am completely intuitive and not detailed; it gave me a completely different way of seeing how my wife and I look at problems :). A look at my desk or the way I develop lessons you’d see that I do tend to ignore details to get to the general theme.
I try to teach in every possible way, so that I can reach as many students as possible. Presentations with pictures or animations when possible with notes. Reading notes & orally reviewing the topic after students finish writing material down. Modeling when possible, or drawing models. I demonstrate concepts or systems using movement as much as possible. And with chemistry, we do labs so they can see principles in action (although they like the playing better than the learning).
Look forward to a productive and fun summer. ken

1 comment:

  1. Hello Ken,
    I look forwarding to hearing more about your AP chemistry class. See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete