Friday, May 29, 2009

Cherie Zepp

Hi all,

I'm so excited for what I anticipate to be an amazing experience this summer being part of the Merit Program.  I look forward to meeting you all.

I am currently teaching Special Education at Hyde Middle School in Cupertino.  I'm in a "special assignment" (and learning a lot!) in the Special Ed department.  Previously, I taught 7th grade core at Lawson, and 6th grade at Kennedy (both schools in the Cupertino Union district).  Teaching is not my first career...Many years ago I worked in the tech industry (HP and Silicon Graphics), and then took time off to raise my own children.  When my children were babies I taught childbirth classes...as my kids grew I began subbing in the elementary school...I'm currently teaching middle school but my kids are now in high school and college so I'm not sure what's next for me!

I am an auditory learner and I do tend to catch myself lecturing often in the classroom.  I also know I enjoy engaging, participatory activities and competitions so I try to incorporate simulations and games into my lessons.  I enjoy the social aspect of learning and I provide opportunities for my middle schoolers to interact and work together on projects.

I love to travel.  Last summer I took a group of 7th and 8th graders to the British Isles.   (The picture I included is from that trip.)  I also love to read.  Does anyone have any good book recommendations?  

3 comments:

  1. Hello, Cherie,

    We're both middle school teachers. I'm looking forward to meeting you.
    I just read ZENZELE: A LETTER TO MY DAUGHTER, a memoir from an educated Zimbabwean mother about respecting traditions.

    V

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cherie,

    I have to teach a couple of Special Ed classes as part of teaching Science and I know how challenging it is to come up with activities that engae the students and also instruct them!

    You asked for a good boom recommendation. I'm reading Team of Rivals by Doris Goodwin and am rushing to finish it before he KCI class begins next week! If you have even the slightest interest in history, you'll not be able to put this book down!

    Meera

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tales of a Female Nomad, awesome journal of a woman's travels around the world and Three Cups of Tea, awesome read

    ReplyDelete